This position was filled!
Who are they?
Pigment’s mission is to enable people and businesses to make better decisions.
Founded in 2019 by Romain Niccoli (ex founder and CTO of Criteo) and Eléonore Crespo (Index Ventures and Google), Pigment is a fast-growing international scale-up that raised about $248M to become the central business planning solution powering Finance, HR, Sales, and Marketing decisions.
We serve fast-growing companies including Gong, Carta, BlaBlaCar, Ledger, Deliveroo, Brex, Melio, and Spendesk to name a few!
Pigment is remote friendly and has offices in Paris, London, NYC and Toronto.
We are looking for senior software engineers who can also be people managers of other software engineers, for a share of their time (up to 50%).
On the software engineering part:
More than knowledge of a specific language or framework, we are looking for great software engineering skills:
ability to translate functional requirements into an elegant and simple design, and then deliver the code.
We are also looking for engineers who understand the product and the customer’s needs in detail and can suggest innovative ideas: in the end, it’s all about delivering value to end users.
On the people management part, here is what it entails:
- coaching up to 6 direct reports (usually every 2 weeks)
- defining expectations, collecting and delivering feedback
- building career development plans (we have a skill leveling matrix)
- participating in performance-related decisions with other managers (ex: proposing and calibrating salary raises), including under-performance remediation
- (optional) leading ad hoc projects with other managers to structure engineering (ex: organize technical demos, animate an All Hands, lead evolutions to our skill leveling matrix)
In the Pigment engineering team, people managers do not have the responsibility of a particular technical domain, as this is the role of technical leads: this way, we make sure career decisions and technical choices are independent from one another.
Who you are
In any case, you have:
- Experience as a software engineer working on a product in production - for managers specifically, this experience must be evaluated during the interview process at a “senior” level (that is, usually from 7-8 years)
- Experience in people management of at least 2-3 years,
- Proven experience designing object oriented software with languages such as C#, Java, C++, Golang, Rust, Python or Ruby (this list is not exhaustive).
- Great team spirit with a problem-solving attitude.
- A good dose of humility and the willingness to grow (no matter your seniority!).
- A fluent level of English (French is not a must).