Back Market is the world’s leading refurbished electronics marketplace with a team of 650 people, powering operations in 21 countries (and counting!).
Named one of the World's Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company in 2019 and again in 2021, our mission is simple: empowering people to consume tech sustainably by offering folks a high quality, accessible, and more eco-friendly alternative to buying new electronics. Why? Refurbished tech helps lower our collective environmental impact. We have indeed contributed to avoid the production of more than 1,000,000 tons of CO2e worldwide since our launch in 2014.
Be part of an exciting and growing international adventure that will change the way the world consumes tech.
The Mobile Core squad in Platform Tribe
The Mobile Core team's mission is to improve the mobile developer experience, by providing and delivering high standards, quality, automated processes, and tooling.
One of our pillars is to build & scale robust App Foundations: foundational architecture, shared frameworks, Core & UI components, providing iOS developer tools. We want to make sure that our app scales, but also that iOS engineers are writing easier and more consistent code.
Our second pillar is to elevate & accelerate our App Infrastructure: develop faster and more reliable CI/CD pipelines, easy release process, better QoS monitoring, and quality & profiling.
We are a remote team from different cultures & backgrounds, spread across France & Germany. We are composed of Senior Engineers on Android & iOS and a Senior Engineering Manager. Other mobile engineers from product squads are also invited to contribute to technical & core projects across squads from time to time.
The role & responsibilities
We are looking for an iOS Senior I Engineer to contribute to the iOS core foundations, architecture & infrastructure stack. The engineer in this role will produce scalable libraries & frameworks, elevate iOS engineering excellence, and share their knowledge within the iOS Community at Back Market.
The engineer will also contribute to the mobile engineering chapter, with talented iOS & Android engineers but also with other technical leaders from other platforms (SRE, Backend, Frontend, CyberSec, Data…). Whether hooked on Swift, developing advanced UI with motion, or purely Core architecture, the engineer will work efficiently and contribute to collaborative work by remaining open to new ideas.
- Consistently delivers iOS code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability, making the iOS app scalable & accelerating product iterations
- Effectively contributing to technical initiatives to reach the iOS engineering vision, accountable for large team project features, including ones with external dependencies.
- Ability to design code through technical conception before development, ensuring robust and efficient code patterns (Swift concurrency, thread safety, and race conditions)
- Curiosity and proactiveness in implementing new Swift and iOS technologies: SwiftUI (migration started in 2022), property wrappers, result builders, and functional programming.
- Build & scale our app architecture (MVVM-C or similar architectures), advocate for multi-modules, and dependency injection. Understanding and applying SOLID principles while recognizing the importance of simplicity (KISS).
- Find ways to prevent regressions, push for Unit and UI testing by collaborating with QA & iOS Engineers, exploring new E2E testing practices, from native to third-party solutions.
- Elevate the iOS app performance with strong monitoring practices from App launch to app size, memory usage, and smooth UI performance (Datadog, Crashlytics)
- Improve the release process with an automation mindset & practices for our CI/CD pipelines & workflows (Bitrise CI, Fastlane, Testflight, Firebase App Distribution, GitHub Actions, Renovate, Mergify).
Recruitment process :
- Phone screen with Yann (30 min)
- Technical screening with two iOS engineers (~45 minutes)
- iOS live technical interview exercise & discussion (~1h30)
- Team fit with your future manager + one person from our product/platform engineering team (~1h)
- BM value interview with our leadership (~45m)
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US ?
- A meaningful job: you will help avoid thousands of tons of electronic waste and fight against planned obsolescence. It counts!
- A meaningful company: we became a mission-driven company in January 2022.
- Be part of a worldwide growing company based in Europe, the USA and Asia to face great challenges : you will have the freedom to innovate and adopt new ideas!
- Work alongside passionate experts: who will share their knowledge and help you develop and grow in your career.
- Grow your career: with a flexible career path and a dedicated Learning & Development team. Back Market will help you evolve with personalized internal trainings and external handpicked providers from day 1!
- Leadership Academy by Back Market:“be a coach not a dictator” is at the core of this program ! We train and enable all our leaders to support their team towards achieving goals. Be a manager at Back Market is an unique experience we take by heart.
- An attractive salary, equity and a host of benefits including : Lunch voucher, health insurance, relocation package, paid time off for activism in your community, parental benefits, flexible hours, etc…
- One Loving Tribe: you will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, open-minded and friendly environment.
- Be part of one of our Employee Resource Groups createdaround shared identities, common backgrounds and/or special interests crafted to be a safe space and an expressive outlet.
- Several internal events: The Monday Brief (weekly)/ The Somehands (monthly)/ The All Hands (annual).
- We’re here to SABOTAGE: It’s our mantra. It keeps us focused on what we aspire to be: a little bit sneaky, always smart, kinda frugal and constantly conspiring to create maximum impact.
Back Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer which means we pledge to not discriminate against employees based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.. If reasonable accommodations are needed for the interview process, please do not hesitate to discuss this with the Talent Acquisition Team.
Back Market is helping to address one of the biggest challenges of our time: climate change. We take this so seriously that we were awarded status as a “Société à Mission”, or company with a social mission, by the French government. We know we can’t tackle a global problem without a globally representative team so we are committed to embedding diversity, equity and inclusion principles in every aspect of our organization. But more importantly, being One Loving & Free Spirited Tribe is in our DNA as it is one of the five foundational values of our company since we got started way back in 2014. We are committed to hiring and supporting diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We know our lofty goals cannot be reached unless everyone has a seat at the table along with the resources and opportunity to grow.
These companies are also recruiting for the position of “Mobile Development”.