Our mission? Making day-to-day banking easier for SMEs and freelancers thanks to an online business account that's combined with invoicing, bookkeeping and spend management tools. Thanks to its innovative product, highly reactive 24/7 customer support and clear pricing, Qonto has become the leader in its market.
Our journey: Founded by Alexandre and Steve in July 2017, Qonto has rapidly gained trust, serving over 450,000 customers. Thanks to our wonderful team of 1,400+ Qontoers, we also made it to the LinkedIn Top Companies French ranking!
Customer focus | Prioritize customers in everything you do
Ownership | Own your part, get things done
Teamwork | Make (team)work easy
Mastery | Continuously raise the bar
Integrity | Always do what’s right, and respect people
Our beliefs: At Qonto, we're committed to fostering a welcoming environment where everyone can thrive. We prioritize evaluating applicants based solely on skills and potential, ensuring diversity with 50% international team members, 44% women, and 20% parents. Join us in building a workplace that celebrates diversity and individuality.
Reporting to Guillaume, you will lead and grow one of our backend teams to build the Qonto product in the payment system space. Our highly skilled, multicultural backend team of ~120 engineers is working closely in cross-functional teams and collaborates tightly with the Product team to deliver a top-quality product at a fast pace.
👩💻🧑💻 As a Head of Backend at Qonto, you will
• Drive delivery of product features and improvements with a high level of quality and on time.
• Manage the Payment System team of 30+ engineers and 5 managers.
• Coach your team leaders and engineers to maintain quality and velocity while the team grows and complexity increases.
• Spread a culture of continuous improvement: learn how to write better code to ship features faster.
• Foster collaboration with partner teams such as Product, Data, and Frontend (Web + Mobile) and with third parties.
⚙️ Tech Stack
Our primary languages are Python, Go and Ruby on the backend, EmberJS on the frontend, and Kotlin and Swift for our mobile applications. The Payment system team uses mostly Go.
Our platform runs on a Kubernetes cluster hosted on AWS, with PostgreSQL as our database of choice, using Kafka for our event-driven architecture and ELK for logging and auditing, among many other tools, services, and applications.
🤔 What you can expect
• Oversee an expert team that is managing billions of euros in transactions, fostering excellence at a big scale
• Leverage our values and our culture of continuous improvement to boost your impact as a leader.
• We're putting a heavy emphasis on upfront technical designs, team reviews, and smart slicing. You can expect to focus on quality, which we believe drives the velocity our customers need.
• We think success comes from a space where you're given time, support, and autonomy to improve yourself, our systems, and our processes.
• Our lean toolbox enables you to monitor your constant improvements (Kaizen, PDCA) collaboratively with your peers and manager.
🧠What you could work on
As part of our Engineering department, you will oversee several teams of backend engineers. Each of these teams participates in a cross-functional team that handles part of our product. A few examples of these teams are:
💳 Cards payment/lifecycle: Build and sell cards that are top of wallet for all company expenses.
🏦 Local Payment: Localize business banking by developing missing local payments and filling the gap with traditional banks
🌎 SWIFT / SEPA transfers as fast as possible by anyone at a fair price.
🤝 Your future Manager
You will report to Guillaume. With extensive experience in managing high-performing teams at scale, he drives his team with a strong sense of pride and achievement, guided by results. Before joining Qonto, Guillaume worked at another fast-scaling, product-driven company, Algolia, where he held the position of Senior Engineering Manager.
What he can bring to you:
Guillaume has extensive experience in team management and a strong DevOps culture, and he's enthusiastic about nurturing our engineers' and managers’ growth at Qonto. You will have the opportunity to work in a team that prioritizes high-quality software. He also cultivates and champions a highly collaborative workplace while embracing ambitious and challenging technical tasks.
• Experience: You have significant experience as a software engineer and a successful experience as a manager of managers.
• Leadership: You can bring vision and ambition to your team.
• People Management: You have managed major teams in a structured tech company, and know how to make your team grow.
• Delivery Management: You know how to build and maintain a complex product, and have maintained or raised the bar on quality in a critical production context.
• Tech Skills: You can drive complex tech discussions and orient the team's roadmap around scalability, high availability problems, and critical data flows. Strong expertise in banking/payment would be a plus.
• Languages: You are fluent in English
If you read this far and feel like this could be a great opportunity for you, don't let the imposter syndrome prevent you from applying and hit the button "Apply", we'd really love to hear from you!
A tailor-made and dynamic career track. An inclusive work environment. And so much more to help you succeed.
- Offices in every country to welcome you anytime you want (France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Serbia);
- Tailor-made remote work policy depending on the job you apply for;
- Competitive salary package;
- A meal voucher;
- Public transportation reimbursement (part or global);
- A great health insurance (depending on the country);
- Employee well-being initiatives: access to Moka Care to take care of your mental health and great offers for sports and wellness activities;
- A progressive disability, and parenthood policy as part of our commitment to the Parental Act (1 in 6 of Qonto employees is a parent!) and childcare benefits with selected partners;
- Monthly team events.
💪 Our hiring process:
- Interviews with your Talent Acquisition Manager and future managers
- A remote exercise to demonstrate your skills and give you a taste of what working at Qonto could be like
We will send you an interview guide so you can best prepare yourself.
On average, our process lasts 20 working days and offers usually follow within 48 hours 🤞
To learn more about us:
To know how your personal data will be processed during your application process or to request its deletion, please click here.
These companies are also recruiting for the position of “Project / Product Management”.See all job openings