Business Development Associate
- Permanent contract
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, Insurance, FinTech / InsurTech
- From 50 to 250 employees
Business Development Associate
- Permanent contract
Who are they?
Born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations and governments, Descartes was founded in 2018 to change the industry status quo.
Around the world, Descartes Underwriting offers a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against natural catastrophes & climate risks. Unlike traditional insurance, which relies on lengthy loss adjustment procedures, Descartes’ parametric products pay out when a predefined event (i.e. flood, cyclone, earthquake, etc.) occurs as measured by a specified parameter or index.
Descartes’ innovative edge stems from their ability to handle massive new data sources and apply proprietary algorithms that extract value for their clients. The team utilizes machine learning and advanced algorithms to unlock valuable underwriting insights from a wide range of sources, including IoT, satellite imagery, stationary sensors, radar and third party data. Not limited to looking backwards at claims history, they model the underlying phenomenon directly, capturing trends and potential climate change impacts to better protect corporate and public sector clients.
LOCATION – Singapore
EXPERIENCE LEVEL – 2+ years in a corporate broking or (re)insurance environment
START DATE - Flexible
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. Our diverse team operates out of our global offices headquartered in Paris and based in Singapore, Sydney, New York, Denver, Atlanta, London, and soon Madrid.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In close collaboration with the Head of Southeast Asia and the rest of the APAC team, you will be focusing on supporting business development activities in Southeast Asia which include:
- Interact with corporate brokers daily to fuel a strong deal pipeline which fits Descartes’ underwriting appetite
- Expand Descartes’ corporate broker network in Southeast Asia, building strong, trust-based relationships to generate new opportunities & secure renewals
- Develop and promote the value proposition of Descartes’ parametric products as a pro-active element within brokers' strategic toolkit
- Understand and identify the market needs for parametric offerings to generate meaningful business opportunities
- Promote Descartes Underwriting as a center of excellence for product innovation and climate risk modelling
- Develop and adapt sales & marketing strategies (incl. digital) for territories in Southeast Asia
- Embrace a tech approach to sales, which will include leveraging state of the art tools and methodologies, and integrating input from the tech & data science teams
- Collaborate with the other Descartes offices around the world to optimize business opportunities & meet business objectives
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth underwriting and claims settlement processes
- Monitor insurance industry, and parametric specific developments in the market, effectively communicating insights internally
- Develop and promote an inclusive and multi-cultural environment
Experience & Qualifications
- 2+ years in the (re)insurance industry in Singapore
- Candidates with experience from brokerage firms or commercial departments within insurance companies highly preferred
- Expertise in commercial property (re)insurance and/or parametric risk space preferred
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) – required
- Good command of one additional language – valued
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, incl. sales & negotiation
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial acumen
- Results oriented, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Motivated to help improving businesses and communities’ resilience to climate change
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, in accordance with candidates’ experience & qualifications.
At Descartes Underwriting, we value diversity across multiple dimensions – cultural, cognitive, leadership & experience - and we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination. Our diverse multilingual and multicultural team is core to our value proposition, allowing us to think & build globally from the first iteration. We seek talents who can subscribe to these core values. Our positions are open for all.
- Add to favorites
- Share on LinkedIn
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter