Climate Risk Modeler (F/H)
- Inteligencia artificial/Aprendizaje automático, Seguros, FinTech/InsurTech
- Entre 50 y 250 empleados
Climate Risk Modeler (F/H)
Who are they?
Born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations and governments, Descartes was founded in 2018 to change the industry status quo.
Around the world, Descartes Underwriting offers a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against natural catastrophes & climate risks. Unlike traditional insurance, which relies on lengthy loss adjustment procedures, Descartes’ parametric products pay out when a predefined event (i.e. flood, cyclone, earthquake, etc.) occurs as measured by a specified parameter or index.
Descartes’ innovative edge stems from their ability to handle massive new data sources and apply proprietary algorithms that extract value for their clients. The team utilizes machine learning and advanced algorithms to unlock valuable underwriting insights from a wide range of sources, including IoT, satellite imagery, stationary sensors, radar and third party data. Not limited to looking backwards at claims history, they model the underlying phenomenon directly, capturing trends and potential climate change impacts to better protect corporate and public sector clients.
ABOUT DESCARTES UNDERWRITING
Descartes was born out of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolutionary approach in insurance to better protect corporations, governments, and vulnerable communities. We offer a new generation of parametric insurance that builds resilience against the full spectrum of climate and emerging risks. Utilizing Machine Learning and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery & IoT, our state-of-the-art climate tech provides innovative coverage for all trade sectors in all regions of the world. Our diverse team operates out of our global offices headquartered in Paris and based in Singapore, Sydney, New York, Denver, Atlanta, London, and Madrid.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
Due to rapid growth, we are seeking to expand our R&D team and we are looking for a Climate Risk Modeler (F/H). At the core of our company’s strategy, your missions will focus on making direct contributions to the development of new climate models :
- Improving and/or developing new models to improve our understanding of climate risks ;
- Conducting research on the modelling of climate risks and machine learning methods ;
- Identifying new and innovative ideas and testing state-of-the-art methods from scratch based on recent research articles ;
- Collaborating with the underwriting and business teams to ensure our products are efficiently integrated into the underwriting process and meet our client’s needs ;
- Working autonomously and pragmatically to make appropriate technical decisions.
ABOUT YOUEXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Research-oriented Master’s Degree or PhD in meteorological studies, physics or applied mathematics ;
- Multi-disciplinary curriculum, with strong skills in statistics, applied mathematics, physics and machine learning methods ;
- Ideally a previous experience in climate modelling or data science ;
- Proficiency in Python ;
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) required ;
- Good command of one additional language (e.g. Chinese, French, Italian, German, Spanish…) valued.
- Interested in weather and natural perils modelling (cyclones, wildfires, hail, tsunamis, earthquakes etc) ;
- Strong team spirit and ability to work under pressure ;
- Eagerness to solve complex problems and technical challenges ;
- Rigorous, creative and meticulous mind ;
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission ;
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment ;
- Motivated to help improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change.
WHY JOIN DESCARTES UNDERWRITING?
- Opportunity to work and learn with top data scientists from the most prestigious schools and research labs in France, allowing you to progress towards technical excellence ;
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.) ;
- Work in a collaborative & professional environment ;
- Be part of an international team, passionate about diversity ;
- Benefit from a referral scheme for successfully referring peers ;
- You can benefit from a hybrid work mode.
HOW TO APPLY ?
You may check off several but not necessarily all the expected boxes? Motivation and feeling are key elements for us!
If you want to develop your skills and work in a friendly startup atmosphere, don't hesitate and send us your application! https://www.descartesunderwriting.com/careers/
At Descartes Underwriting, we are committed to fighting against all forms of discrimination and for equal opportunities. We foster an inclusive work environment that respects all differences.
With equal skills, all our positions are open to people with disabilities.
- Step 1: Call and HR Interview with our Talent Recruiter
- Step 2: Technical online test
- Step 3: In-person interview with a Data Scientist
- Step 4: In-person interview with our Head of R&D
- Step 5: Final round interview with our Data science team
- Añadir a favoritos
- Compartir en LinkedIn
- Compartir en Facebook
- Compartir en Twitter