- Permanent contract
- Possible full remote
- Permanent contract
- Possible full remote
While some still look to the stars, social networks and video games have given us a chance to look to the digital realm, a third place. These frontiers, thus far, have been fun - a form of entertainment.
Darewise is a team of force multiplier game developers, united to prove we can go beyond entertainment by experiencing rich, creative and connected open world, multiplayer video games.
They’re ready to prove that these worlds can exist as a cooperative venture between company and community.
They are building proprietary technology that serves as the foundation for these open world experiences, pushing beyond the existing social networks and online games to connect people in new, meaningful ways. They share this desire with gamers around the world who are eager to participate in building these worlds both as a technological achievement and as active participants in the game itself.
If you dream of pushing the boundaries of what a game can be, join their international team and start disrupting it all to offer unprecedented gaming experiences.
We are looking for ambitious and talented Backend Programmers for our upcoming persistent world game Life Beyond! Online Services encompass a multitude of services used not only by the game itself but also by the many tools involved in operating the game. In this age of games-as-a-service, all of these are vital components of an online game’s architecture, which drives forward operations, customer service and new developments. As part of the Online Services team, you will support the design and implementation of those solutions.
Online Services may include:
- Primary game database
- Data collection and analytics
- Game API for third party tools
- User management and authentication
- Live operations and customer support tools
- Customer facing portal
- Deployment of servers and updates
- Operating at scale
- Security and privacy
Darewise is committed to building a culturally diverse team, and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Please note that this position is either full-time on-site in Paris - or you can work remotely from your home anywhere in Europe.
- Support the existing backend services, working closely with the Senior Backend Programmer to design and implement the solutions going forward
- Work with a multitude of technologies, libraries and frameworks for the development of state of the art solutions for all the online services
- Integrate the various backend services with the main game codebase
- Support the performance, scalability and robustness of the backend services in the very unpredictable context of a large-scale, persistent world game
- Maintenance of test environments and ensurance of robust deployment processes
You give us your skills, dedication and enthusiasm, and here’s what you get back:
- A competitive salary (based on experience) + stock options + 20% profit sharing
- 35 days off per year
- Flexible working hours without time tracking - we trust you to deliver on your work commitments
- Choose where you wish to live! The company is distributed and will accommodate you wherever you are
- Choose your own software - we want you to be comfortable and efficient
- Attend in-person events with the entire Darewise team multiple times a year
- Visit your co-workers in other countries for free (up to twice a year)
- Access to digital book and game libraries
If you choose Paris and our headquarters as your base, here are some added benefits:
- Live in Paris, one of the most iconic and exciting cities in the world!
- Relocation packages, including EU working visa assistance if necessary
- Public + private health insurance
- 50% coverage of the cost of your public transport card
- €500 per year to cover sustainable transportation costs, with the exception of cars, such as bicycle leasing costs, skateboards, etc
- Access to physical book and game libraries
- An ergonomic work set-up, with Herman Miller chairs and standing desks
- Choose your own hardware - we want you to be comfortable and efficient
- 3+ years experience of backend development within the games industry
- Experience in running live services at a similar scale to an MMO or persistent world game
- Experience of database architecture and query optimization (SQL and NoSQL)
- Awareness of state of the art web-related technologies and architectural trends
- Experience working with cloud hosted services on Amazon and Google Cloud
- Knowledge of the latest security best practices
- Understanding of software architecture principles (UML, design patterns, web services architecture)
- Understanding of client/server architecture
- Appetite for learning and staying ahead of the curve by keeping in touch with cutting edge technologies and techniques
- Passion for making games with an interest and willingness to participate in all the aspects of game development
- Positive, collaborative and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines
- Strong English and communication skills, comfortable working with non-technical people and remote teams
- Self-motivation, driven to creatively solve problems
Also nice to have:
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Cross-platform experience: PC, Linux, Consoles…
- Personal interest in MMO games and virtual worlds
Our recruitment process consists of a preliminary application screening, HR Interview, Lead Interview, with a team interview as the final step in the process, and may include a technical assessment. In special cases, exceptions or modifications can be made.
Note: Though our office is located in Paris, English is our official office language. As such, we request for all applications to be submitted in English; non-English applications will not be considered.
Meet the team
- Add to favorites
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Share on LinkedIn